Home » Copycat Restaurant Recipes - Over 869 recipes and counting! » Arby’s Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Arby’s Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is a tasty meal. A tender filet of buttermilk chicken breast is fried until crispy, coated with homemade Buffalo sauce, and put inside a toasted bun with parmesan peppercorn ranch sauce and lettuce.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
What Makes the Arby’s Buffalo Chicken Sandwich So Good?
Besides the extra-crispy crust and the authentic buffalo sauce flavor, the addition of the peppercorn ranch dressing with parmesan cheese elevates this sandwich from good to great.
Why This Is the Copycat Recipe You Should Try
This is a pretty straightforward version of a fried buffalo chicken sandwich. Some other copycat recipes call for using a beer-batter base or adding poultry seasoning, but there is no need to get that fancy.
This recipe allows the spice of the buffalo sauce and the flavors of the peppercorn ranch dressing to come through.
Arby’s Buffalo Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
To make this Buffalo Chicken Sandwich recipe, you’ll need:
- Hamburger buns
- Chicken breasts
- All-purpose flour
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Peppercorn ranch salad dressing with parmesan
- Iceberg lettuce
Frank’s RedHot is the classic hot sauce for making buffalo chicken, but if you prefer a different one, feel free to use it as a substitute.
Peppercorn ranch dressing is one of the stars of the show, so make sure to choose a good brand like the one fromTwisted Ranch. You can always make your own if you prefer.
How To Make a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
There are a lot of steps to this recipe, but they are not complicated. Read all the instructions and go slow. To make things easier, the instructions are broken down into several sections.
Setting up the breading station:
- Stir together the flour, salt, and pepper in a wide shallow baking dish. Add a few tablespoons of the buttermilk, and mix with a spoon. You don’t want the flour to turn into a paste, but you need to add enough buttermilk for the flour to form tiny clumps. The tiny clumps will make the sandwich extra crispy.
- Pour the remaining buttermilk into another shallow baking pan.
- Place a wire rack on top of a baking tray.
Preparing the chicken patties:
- Put one chicken breast inside a plastic bag and seal tightly, being sure to push out all the air.
- Use the flat side of a meat tenderizer to lightly pound the chicken until it is an even thickness of about one inch.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breast.
- Put the pounded chicken breast on a cutting board and use a knife to slice horizontally into two 1/2-inch pieces.
- Repeat with the other pounded chicken breast.
Breading the chicken:
- Dry the chicken pieces with a paper towel.
- Dip the chicken into the buttermilk and let the extra drip off.
- Put the chicken into the seasoned flour and coat both sides. Shake off the excess.
- Place on the wire rack and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Let the chicken rest on the wire rack for at least five minutes to allow the coating to adhere.
Frying the chicken:
- Heat vegetable oil to 350°F. Use a deep fryer or a heavy-bottom pan. The temperature is critical, so check it with a thermometer.
- Cook two pieces of chicken at a time in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side. Check that the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165°F and place them on a clean wire rack over a baking tray.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
Making the buffalo sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the butter, Frank’s RedHot sauce, and a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce.If you want spicy buffalo sauce, add some diced jalapeno peppers.
- Heat, but don’t allow it to come to a boil by frequently whisking.
- Turn off the heat.
Assembling Arby’s Buffalo Chicken Sandwich:
- Spread softened butter on the hamburger buns and toast them under the broiler.
- Put a little peppercorn ranch on each of the toasted bottom buns. Add some shredded iceberg lettuce on top.
- Coat each fried chicken breast filet with a quarter of the buffalo sauce by tossing it in a bowl.
- Place the sauced chicken breasts on top of the lettuce.
- Spread a little more creamy parmesan peppercorn ranch dressing on the top buns and put them on the chicken pieces.
The Best Sides for a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Serve this Buffalo crispy chicken sandwich withfries,mozzarella sticks, orjalapeno poppers.
How To Store Leftovers
You can keep plastic-wrapped leftovers for up to three days in the fridge. For longer than a few days, it is best to wrap the breasts individually in aluminum foil and then place them in a freezer bag.
The Best Way to Reheat a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
The best way to reheat buffalo chicken patties is in the air fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 370°F.
- Heat frozen patties for 10 minutes and thawed patties for 6 minutes. Add more time if necessary.
If you don’t have an air fryer, the second-best method is in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the frozen patties for 18 to 20 minutes and the thawed ones for around 12 minutes. Add more time if needed.
Love Arby’s? Try These Copycat Recipes
- Beef and Cheddar Sandwich
- Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Tzatziki Sauce
Take a look at this guide to Arby’s Sauces.
Favorite Sandwich Recipes
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich
- Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Loose Meat Sandwich
- Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pockets
- Taco Bell Sandwich
- Whataburger Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich
Check out more of my easy chicken recipes and the best sandwich recipes on CopyKat!
Arby’s Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Make Arby's Crispy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich at home with this copycat recipe.
5 from 2 votes
Print Pin Rate Add to Collection
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Author: Stephanie Manley
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons peppercorn ranch salad dressing with parmesan
- ½ cup shredded iceberg lettuce
Place the chicken in a zip top bag, and use a meat mallet to gently pound the chicken to a uniform thickness of about 1/2 inch. If the chicken is 1 inch thick take a knife and cut the breast horizontally instead.
Place the flour, salt, and ground black pepper in a pie plate. Add about 3 tablespoons of the buttermilk and stir. This will make a coating on the chicken with some extra crispy bits that your sauce can hold onto. The coating will look a little shaggy.
Place the remaining buttermilk into another pie plate.
Pat the chicken dry, dip it into the buttermilk, and shake off the excess.
Fip the chicken into the seasoned flour, coating both sides. Shake off the excess.
Place the chicken on a wire rack to rest for about 5 minutes.
While the chicken is resting, add vegetable oil to a heavy-bottomed pot until it is 3 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350°F over medium-high heat.
Slowly place the chicken into the hot oil, 2 or 3 pieces at a time. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. If your chicken is large it will need to cook a little longer. You can test with a meat thermometer make sure the internal temperature is 165°F.
When the chicken is done, place it on a clean wire rack as you continue to cook the remaining chicken.
While the chicken is cooking, make the Buffalo sauce by placing the Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, butter, and Worcestershire sauce in a small pan over medium heat. Cook until the butter is melted, whisking the sauce from time to time.
To toast the buns, spread a small amount of softened butter on the inside of the buns and place them under the broiler until they are golden brown.
To assemble to sandwiches, spread about 1/2 tablespoon of peppercorn ranch onto each bottom bun. (If you really like ranch, you can spread a little on the top buns too).
Top with shredded lettuce.
Place the chicken in a bowl and drizzle the Buffalo sauce onto the chicken. Toss to coat the chicken with the sauce.
Place the Buffalo chicken on top of the lettuce, cover it with the top bun, and get ready for a delicious messy sandwich!
Calories: 440kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 1533mg | Potassium: 552mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 308IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 3mg
About Stephanie Manley
I recreate your favorite restaurant recipes, so you can prepare these dishes at home. I help you cook dinner, and serve up dishes you know your family will love. You can find most of the ingredients for all of the recipes in your local grocery store.
Stephanie is the author of CopyKat.com's Dining Out in the Home, and CopyKat.com's Dining Out in the Home 2.
Never miss a recipe
Join the CopyKat eNewletter
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Previous Post: « Best Ever Instant Pot Wendy’s Chili Copycat Recipe
Next Post: Apple Pie Cheesecake »