- Best: For an eyelash serum
- Key ingredients: Peptides, moisturising agents and nourishing botanicals
- Application process : Apply one swipe of serum across a dry lash line at night
- Results after use: Conditioned, thicker and longer lashes
A firm favourite in the beauty industry and one of the OG lash serums, this is the one to beat. Revitalash works by slowing down the growth cycle so that they stay at fuller-length for longer. With one swipe across a dry lash line at night, the brand says you can potentially see a difference in a couple of weeks.
The serum was created by Dr Brinkenhoff, an ophthalmologist, who was looking to help his wife regain her lash confidence after cancer. It contains ingredients like peptides (the building blocks of proteins), moisturising agents (like glycerine) and nourishing botanicals. We found that it applied easily, and that – as its rave reviews suggest – our lashes looked noticeably more conditioned, thicker and longer after roughly six weeks of continual usage. A definite repeat purchase.
RapidLash eyelash enhancing serum
- Best: For a budget buy
- Key ingredients : Polypeptides and biotin
- Application process: Paint serum along your lash line once a day
- Results after use: Slight improvement in length and condition of lashes
One of the more affordable options, RapidLash aims to strengthen your lashes using a blend of polypeptides and also stimulate growth by using the vitamin biotin. It’s clinically proven to help boost how they look, with an everyday application that’s pretty similar to Revitalash (£89, Cultbeauty.co.uk) you simply paint it along your lash line once a day.
The brand says you can expect to see results in as little as eight weeks. While we saw that there was a definite improvement in length and condition in this time, the results didn’t feel quite as dramatic as RevitaLash, though were still noticeable.
Elizabeth Arden PRevage clinical lash and brow enhancing serum
- Best: For false-lash wearers
- Key ingredients: Vitamins A, C and E, peptides and conditioners
- Application process : Apply every night to skin along lash line
- Results after use: Longer and stronger lashes
Creeping into the pricier end of the market, this brow and lash serum uses a combination of vitamins A, C and E, peptides and conditioners to support the natural lash cycle, for glossier and less dry-looking lengths. While the brand says it’s not intended to prevent hair loss or promote growth, they do claim that you can see an improvement in condition in as little as two weeks.
We think it’s best suited for anyone with very parched, damaged lashes looking to recondition them. After a month of painting it on, we did notice that ours looked longer and felt more robust. A great choice for anyone who wears false lashes frequently to help condition your natural hairs.
Vichy LiftActiv anti-aging serum 10 eyes and lashes
- Best: For multi-tasking
- Key ingredients : Rhamnose, ceramides and instant light reflectors
- Application process: Apply serum over the entire eye area and lashes
- Results after use: Healthier-looking lashes and brighter eye area
More of a multi-tasker, this eye serum-meets-lash booster aims to target signs of ageing around the entire eye area. It’s a much less fiddly application than the paint-on lash serums, so a great option for anyone looking for a multi-purpose, fast option.
It contains rhamnose (an anti-inflammatory ingredient), ceramides (which help to prevent moisture loss) and instant light reflectors too. While this one didn’t give us the dramatic results some of the others did, it did improve the condition of our lashes leaving them looking healthier and our eye area definitely looked brighter after a month of usage.
No7 lash impact serum
- Best: For a hypoallergenic formula
- Key ingredients : Keratin and conditioning agents
- Application process : Apply serum across the lash line at night
- Results after use: Subtle improvement in lash condition
One of the less expensive options, this serum – applied at the lashes – is designed to give thicker and darker lashes and brows in eight weeks. It’s hypoallergenic, which is a big USP, and although the brush applicator isn’t the easiest to use this is a great entry level option to the world of lash serums.
With ingredients like protein-rich keratin and plenty of conditioning agents, we definitely noticed a gentle difference in the eight-week period. But it wasn’t quite as dramatic as some of the other options.
L'Oreal Paris clinically proven lash serum
- Best: For lash-extension wearers
- Key ingredients : Castor oil, vitamin B5 and hyaluronic acid
- Application process : Brush onto lash line and allow to dry before applying mascara
- Results after use: Conditioned and slightly longer lashes
Aiming to strengthen and nourish, this impressive formula uses castor oil, boosting vitamin B5 and moisturising hyaluronic acid. You can even brush it on as a base coat before you apply mascara as it acts like a moisturising mask for the lashes.
The brush made it easy to apply and after three weeks we noticed they looked more conditioned, and a little longer – although it wasn’t a dramatic change. This could be a great option for anyone looking to up the condition of their lashes post extensions.
UKlash eyelash conditioning serum
- Best: For sparse lashes
- Key ingredients : Hyaluronic acid, peptides and biotin
- Application process : Apply one stroke of serum at the root of your upper lashes before bed
- Results after use: Visibly longer and stronger lashes
Using hyaluronic acid, peptides and biotin as its mainstay this serum is ideal for anyone with sparse lashes looking to beef them up a tad. Its recommended usage period is eight to 12 weeks, so on the longer side. But it does contain similar ingredients to some the pricier serums, which is great.
We did have a little redness from this one, which went away after we skipped a night, but there was a visible difference after eight weeks, in both length and condition too.
Indeed Labs peptalash
- Best: For fast results
- Key ingredients : Plant stem cells from a rare Swiss apple and a blend of two peptides
- Application process : Apply twice a day to lash line
- Results after use: Conditioned and healthier-looking lashes
Using a pen applicator, this well-priced option says it can lengthen, thicken and darken lashes, promising more volume in a very short 15 days. It uses plant stem cells from a rare Swiss apple plus a blend of two peptides which aims to create less breakage, as well as helping soothe the skin around the eyes as a bonus.
This one needed to be used twice a day, and although the pen was a little hard, the results showed more conditioned lashes, with a definite improvement in their health, in time period promised.
Lancôme cils booster activating serum
- Best: For dry lashes
- Key ingredients : Hyaluronic acid, an amino acid concentrate and cica (a reparative plant extract)
- Application process : Apply the serum along the eyelash line, from root to tip, twice daily
- Results after use: Conditioned, slightly longer lashes
Definitely the chicest looking of the bunch, this luxury serum is infused with hyaluronic acid, a four amino acid concentrate and cica (a reparative plant extract) to help nourish lashes. After a month of usage, we saw a big improvement in their condition and a little growth too.
The formula was thicker and heavier than the others, making it ideal for bedtime use – it felt vaguely like a hair mask. It could be one for anyone with very dry lashes, as a brilliant conditioning treatment.
Luna Nectar the moon boost tonic for lashes and brows
- Best: For vegans
- Key ingredients : Vitamin E, argan oil and aloe
- Application process : Swipe serum along upper and lower lashline and onto the roots of brow hairs before bed
- Results after use: Glossier, healthier and thicker lashes
This cult US brand uses antioxidants and plant-nutrient formulas promising to nourish lashes and brows in just under three weeks, by prolonging the growth phase of the hair follicles.
Using ingredients like nourishing vitamin E and argan oil and soothing aloe, we did indeed see that our lashes looked visibly glossier, healthier and appeared thicker too. We also liked that it’s vegan, and fragrance-free – and a great choice for anyone looking to recondition their parched lashes.